Saturday 24 November 2007

Blog Creator Introduction


Hi fellow martial artist.
My name is Stephen Wilkinson and I've been training in the martial arts for approx. 35 yrs.
I started out studying Judo at the age of 13 reaching a blue belt and at the age of 15 I started karate classes. I currently hold a 2nd Dan in karate and hope to take my 3rd Dan next year. (2008)
I have created this blog to have somewhere I can capture from all you fellow martial artists the application of kata. (And forms from other styles and systems)

I hope I am not alone when I say that despite training for many years it suddenly dawned on me that my understanding of kata was superficial. The actual application (bunkai) of the various movements I had not spent enough thought or practice on this. Since, thanks to Youtube postings my knowledge is expanding exponentially but with your help this can be improved.

We can share our knowledge and I am not aware of any web site that dedicates itself to kata / martial art application. So get cracking people. Post you're info for all to see/read.

Final note. I'm a karate man. However, I have friends that teach bag-wa, tai-chi, tai kick boxing, etc. so don't restrict your application posts to karate.

Let our journey begin.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic post Sensei Steve,
those bunkai video's are truly fantastic , i now almost understand that when practising kata i should be in the mindset that kata potentially can lead to a finishing move .

Stephen Wilkinson said...

Thanks for the positive comment. If you live locally visit Aycliffe karate club. We are a very friendly bunch.
I think you will find like I just have that with in any given kata (which are fighting system in their own right) there are combinations of locks, strangles, throws and of course strikes. It depends on your martial art experience as to how much additional tuition we'll all need.

The videos are great aren't they. Mr Lupo has made some cracking training aids.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve. Not sure if you remember me, Gordon Fong, who started off as a 11 year old at the youth club with Eddie. I was very pleased to see a photo of Eddie on the web site. I always wanted one to put on y own web site to acknowledge the fact that he started me off on this karate path and all that kicking up and down the hall really helped. Unfortunately age and lack of training on my behalf along the way has meant that my kicks are a bit lacking now. Great to see you are still involved. Do you have any old photos from the early 80s at the club? This is one from around 89 or 90 http://gallery.fong.co.uk/album44/aac

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I moved to Sunderland after Aycliffe as well, before the sunier climes of Bournemouth.

Anonymous said...

Steve

Not sure you got my first post before the one above, but it was just a short message to say hello and hopefully you remember me from Eddie's club at the youth centre. Those Sunday mornings on the asphalt sports hall with snow blowing in were good for character building. Those multiple kicks definitely did help me in later training but the ravages of food and drink have now taken over :-)

Good to see you are still training and grateful for the photo of Eddie.

Regards, Gordon.